Teacher Assistant Requirements in New Hampshire


Requirements to work in Title I School
The federal government’s “Highly Qualified Standard” applies for all teacher assistants seeking employment in a Title I school, school wide program or Title I targeted assistance program who is paid with Title I funds. It is important to note that in addition to having a high school diploma or GED equivalent, at least ONE of the following requirements are needed to qualify:

  • Successfully complete at least two years (48 semester hours) of study at an institution of higher education
  • An associates degree from an accredited institution of higher education
  • Demonstrated knowledge of and the ability to assist in the instruction of, reading, writing, and math by passing a formal and state approved assessment such as the ParaPro exam (passing score is 460)

Certification and Renewal
Obtaining a certification in the state of New Hampshire is optional, not required. To be certified as a paraeducator, an individual must meet at least one of the “Highly Qualified Standards” mentioned above. Certification is valid for a period of 3 years. In order to renew the certification the applicant must fulfill at least one of the following requirements:

  • Recommendation in writing by the superintendent to the administrator as having met the requirements; or
  • Compliance with the requirements as demonstrated by a certificate of continuing education or a transcript issued by an institution and documents that the candidate has completed continuing education courses totaling at least 50 clock hours.

Requirements and Preparation
CPR/First Aid certified
Pass state and federal background checks