Teacher Assistant Requirements in North Carolina


According to the State Board of Education, there is no state professional educator’s license required to be a teacher assistant. However, some districts and counties require specific types of special training. Most public school districts in North Carolina currently require a minimum of a high school diploma/GED for employment. Refer to the Paraprofessional/Teacher Assistant section within the Licensure Department of North Carolina’s Department of Public Instruction website for employment information. Furthermore, the North Carolina Association of Teacher Assistants provides even further information on professional development and training opportunities.

Teacher Assistants who provide instructional assistance and working in Title I schools must meet at least ONE of three options:

  1. Complete 2 years (48 semester hours) of college credit at an institute of higher education (IHE).
  2. Obtain an Associates Degree from an IHE.
  3. Pass a formal assessment that demonstrates your knowledge and ability to assist in instructing reading, writing, and mathematics. There are two routes for the assessment:
    1. The Community College System offers three placement tests for paraprofessionals who are going to pursue a four-year or an associates degree: COMPASS, ASSET or the ACCUPLACER. Those not pursuing a degree are encouraged to complete the WorkKeys Occupational Profile Assessment for Teacher Aides.
    2. Intense professional development and course work through the NC Department of Labor Teacher Assistant Apprentice program or the NC Assistant Teacher Association Professional Development Plan.

Additional Preparations
CPR/First Aid certified
Pass state and federal background checks