At present, the Oregon Department of Education does not require that teacher assistants be certified, however the minimum qualifications outline that they must:
- Have a high school diploma or such knowledge and experience determined by the local district superintendent to be sufficient to function as an educational assistant.
- Have standards of moral character and professionalism as required of teachers.
Requirements to work in Title I School
An instructional paraprofessional (teacher assistant) in a Title I school-wide program or Title I targeted assistance program who is paid with Title I funds is required to meet at least one of following requirements in the state of Oregon:
- Successfully complete at least two years (48 semester hours) of study at an institution of higher education
- An associates degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Demonstrated knowledge of and the ability to assist in the instruction of, reading, writing, and math by passing a formal and state approved assessment such as the ACT Work Keys, ParaPro Assessment (passing score is 455), or a local assessment
May need to have:
CPR/First Aid certification
Pass state and federal background checks