According to the South Carolina State Department of Education, teacher aides helping with classroom instruction or programs shall meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have at least a high school diploma or state equivalency certificate.
Applicants that seek employment as an instructional assistant within a Title I school or Title I funded program must meet the proper qualifications through completing at least one of the following options:
- Hold a two-year associate’s degree from an accredited institution; or
- Have completed two years (60 semester hours) of college coursework from an accredited institution; or
- Have passed a state-approved examination of content knowledge and pedagogy.
In addition, all instructional paraprofessionals must work under the direct supervision of a certified teacher and must participate in preservice and inservice training programs for instructional paraprofessionals.
CPR/First Aid certified
Pass state and federal background checks