At present, all those who seek employment as a teacher assistant in the state of Washington must hold a high school diploma. In addition, applicants that seek employment within a Title I school or Title I funded program must meet the proper qualifications through completing at least one of the following options:
- Completed 2 years of study at an institution of higher education; or
- Hold a two-year associate’s degree from an accredited institution; or
- Passing a formal assessment.
It should be noted that teacher assistants have multiple pathways to meet the formal assessment option. All formal assessment options are developed on a common set of knowledge and skill requirements in reading, writing, and mathematics and are approved by the State’s Office of Superintendent of Instruction (OSPI). The formal assessment pathways are as follows:
- Paraeducator Portfolio Assessment
- ETS ParaPro Assessment passing score is 461
- Paraeducator Apprenticeship Program
- School District Paraeducator Assessment
It is best to contact the school district in which you seek employment in order to determine additional standards needed for the job.
CPR/First Aid certified
Pass state and federal background checks